You think the Super Bowl would have the most exciting production values and most excitement per minute of any game of the year. But the truth is a lot of the time is spent occupying people who are only half-interested in the sport by distracting them with mediocre halftime shows, commercials (which vary from trying too hard to not trying hard enough to actually great), and surface-level football analysis. You have to tread through a lot to get to the actual football.
The World Cyber Games has its own sense of grandiose production and poor stream quality that has muddled its purpose and weakened what should be a great event. In its attempts to be all-inclusive its created channels that no one really wants to stick around in. Who sticks around for the Carom games (an online billiards simulator)?
All the games have a cascade of advertisements surrounding them. The English channel is just a dubbed over Korean channel. I’m not arguing that it should be the other way around, just that an event this big should have two separate channels. They only showed two of the possible twelve LoL games on the first day. TWO.
It’s not that I’m angry. The WCG has every right to put on a lesser quality show, just as I have the right to stop watching. And it’s at these points you start asking your fandom how much stuff you want to dig through, and why don’t you just stop watching?
And then Chicks Dig Elo wins the whole tournament and you remember how great it is that they were once completely out of this tournament but were justly given the second chance they deserved. How great it is that Counter-Logic Gaming is one of the elite teams, but can be upset by any underdog team like Gameburg that has a good day. Or how about how Chicks Dig Elo took that second chance and won the whole tournament with it.
– We may never hear from Chicks Dig Elo again. If so, they may have one of the most narratively complete stories of any team ever, with a beginning, a conflict in the middle, and clear closure at the end.
– Actual lyrics from the World Cyber Game’s official song “Beyond the Game”
“Through the magic of a moment in Cyberspace
Driven by a passion to win
Playin’ heart to heart, face to face
The challenge of a life time
Stands before us now”
“Beyond the game
Through a portal into cyberspace
We have come to decide our fate
We’re here to celebrate
Beyond the game
Beyond the game”
“We’re connected now in a powerful way
We celebrate our diversity
Around the world with a passion to play”
And what’s really annoying is that with music all you have to do is play the right notes in the right succession and it doesn’t matter how stupid the lyrics are the song still gets stuck in your head.
– Reginald sure loves that Gragas pick against Karthus. He’s used it a lot this tournament and there’s pretty good reason for it. Gragas can beat Karthus in lane and at the very least trades even with him with long range barrels and body slams to get out of wall traps. But Gragas also beats Karthus out of lane because his heavy displacement makes it hard for the enemy to fight on zombie Karthus’ defile.
– TheOddOne disconnects at the very start of a match as jungle Maokai, leaving him without time to set up and getting heavily counter-jungled. The WCG rules are much stricter than other rule sets which usually force a restart if first blood hasn’t occurred. These strict rules keep any purposeful manipulation out of the game, but really screw junglers who have bad luck.
– I really thought CLG would win game 2 against France as they picked Trundle which meant they were going their favorite team-comp, Nidalee and other long range spam poke. They’ve succeeded in the past, but this time Rumble ultimate initiating was just way too strong against them.
– A long time ago the European meta was known as the more split pushing metagame, while the American metagame was focused on winning teamfights. This was flip-flopped in the second CDE vs. Gameburg Team game with Dyrus using his teleport and Udyr invincibility powers to push the side lanes all day, while the European team with Amumu, Karthus, and Sona was just trying to catch a good team-fight.
– Picks and Bans:
Counter Logic Gaming vs. Jerome_NEGGRET Game 1
Bans: Ryze, Rammus, Graves
Picks: Caitlyn, Kassadin, Maokai, Blitzcrank, Irelia
Bans: Nidalee, Fizz, Karthus
Picks: Udyr, Urgot, Sion, Taric, Shaco
Counter Logic Gaming vs. Jerome_NEGGRET Game 2
Bans: Rammus, Karthus, Kassadin
Picks: Caitlyn, Nidalee, Trundle, Soraka,
Bans: Ryze, Fizz, Graves
Picks: Udyr, Sona, Urgot, Rumble
Match tied 1-1
Counter Logic Gaming vs. Jerome_NEGGRET
Bans: Ryze, Rammus, Graves
Picks: Caitlyn, Blitzcrank, Maokai, Rumble, Tryndamere
Bans: Fizz, Karthus, Nidalee
Picks: Sona, Kassadin, Trundle, Morgana, Urgot
Chicks Dig Elo vs. Gameburg Team Game 1
Bans: Morgana, Nunu, Kennen
Picks: Gangplank, Soraka, Karthus, Lee Sin, Graves
Bans: ??? (missed these)
Picks: Xerath, Vayne, Sona, Udyr, Alistar
Chicks Dig Elo vs. Gameburg Team Game 2
Bans: Nunu, Morgana, Kennen
Picks: Udyr, Gangplank, Caitlyn, Soraka, Gragas
Bans: LeBlanc, Lee Sin, Kassadin
Picks: Karthus, Graves, Sona, Amumu, Nasus